I've been tremendously inspired lately, by some video tutorials from The Missouri Star Quilt Company, as well as by the incredible scrap busting patterns by Bonnie Hunter. About a week ago I started hauling out all of my scraps, and started cutting. I created a Pinterest page for scrap-busting quilt patterns as well. I've been cutting 10" squares (the size of "Layer Cake" precuts) if there's enough material; otherwise, 5" squares (precut "charm squares) if there's enough, and then 2-1/2" squares and 2" squares. I have a bin for "string" leftovers as well, for which I'll be saving any phone books that come in the mail this year. Phone book paper makes excellent paper foundations for string blocks, a great idea shared by Bonnie Hunter in several of her Quilt Cam videos.
I've been cutting for a week so far, and haven't hit the bottom of the scraps yet.
This is my drawer of 2.5" squares.
It's been interesting. There are so many memories attached to so many of these scraps. I have come across pieces from the Storm at Sea quilt that was on our bed for so many years, until we literally wore it to shreds. There are pieces from the quilt I made for a niece's wedding, pieces from fondly-remembered Block of the Month quilts, pieces from baby quilts and the black-and-white quilt I made for my oldest son. Long strips left over from backings and bindings, now being cut small enough to be part of yet another quilt. It's quite the journey, and results in a wide variety of scrap colors and varieties - lots of civil war reproductions, lots of 1930s prints, and pieces of everything else. I'm happy to be making these pieces, up til now just taking up space, into something more organized and usable.
We had a trip to Keepsake Quilting last week as well - a small effort to combat cabin fever. This has been a brutally cold, tremendously snowy winter and everyone is going a little stir crazy, I think. The frost heaves were miserable in a few stretches, but otherwise it was a nice ride, with a good audiobook to listen to on the way. I picked up some scraps; they have a huge basket near the cutting table, and scraps are 25 cents each. I also got a backing and batting for a quilt that's been waiting its turn to be quilted for quite some time. I finally got the backing and batting onto the frame, and started on that.
I got the first row of squares done. I thought I had a stencil I had planned to use for the centers; now I need to venture into the basement and look for that (next time I'm ready for a new bundle of scraps to cut up and add to the collections).